Azure WebJobs - Recommended Resources
This topic provides links to documentation resources about how to use the WebJobs feature of Microsoft Azure and the WebJobs SDK.
This topic contains the following sections:
- Getting Started with WebJobs
- Sample applications that use WebJobs or the WebJobs SDK
- WebJobs SDK Triggers and Binding
- Deploying WebJobs
- Debugging WebJobs
- Getting help with WebJobs and the WebJobs SDK
- Blogs that frequently post on WebJobs or the WebJobs SDK
- Additional WebJobs Resources
- Additional WebJobs SDK Resources
Getting Started with Azure WebJobs and the WebJobs SDK
- Introducing Azure WebJobs. Scott Hanselman explains how WebJobs and the WebJobs SDK solve the problem of regular jobs and batch work in the background for Azure Web Sites.
- Use WebJobs to run background tasks in Microsoft Azure Web Sites. Reference and how-to information about WebJobs (does not cover the SDK).
- Getting Started with the Azure WebJobs SDK. An introduction to the WebJobs SDK followed by step-by-step instructions for building a Hello World application that that processes messages from Azure queues.
- Announcing 0.2.0-alpha2 preview of Windows Azure WebJobs SDK. Blog post by Pranav Rastogi.
- Web Site Web Jobs with Jaime Espinosa. Video introduction to WebJobs.
Making Your Jobs Easier With Azure WebJobs SDK. Video
introduction to the WebJobs SDK, by Pranav Rastogi and Mike Stall.
- For another video on the same topic see also Azure WebJobs 103.
- Windows Azure Web Jobs. Video in Swedish by Magnus Mårtensson.
- WebJobs Graceful Shutdown. Blog post by Amit Apple.
Sample applications that use WebJobs or the WebJobs SDK
- Sample applications provided by the WebJobs team on CodePlex.
- SiteMonitR. By Brady Gaster, a web application that monitors other web sites. Uses Web Sites and WebJobs to demonstrate a background process running on Web Site-collected data. Demonstrates use of scheduled and event-driven WebJobs. See the blog post Rebuilding the SiteMonitR using Azure WebJobs SDK
WebJobs SDK Triggers and Binding
- Trigger, Bindings, and Route parameters in AzureJobs. Blog by Mike Stall.
- Series of blog posts by Mike Stall:
- How does [BlobInput] work? Blog by Mike Stall, how to make the creation of a blob trigger a job.
- Advanced bindings with the Azure Web Jobs SDK. Blog by Victor Hurdugaci.
- WebJobsVS. A Visual Studio extension that enables you to associate a console app project with a web project and automatically deploy it as a WebJobs project with the web project.
deploying a .NET console app to Azure using WebJobs. Blog by Amit Apple.
- See also the Git deployment documentation in GitHub.
- How to deploy Azure WebJobs. Blog by Amit Apple.
Debugging WebJobs or WebJobs SDK
- Who wrote that blob?. Blog by Mike Stall on how to find out which function created a blob.
- Hosting interactive code in the Cloud. Blog by Mike Stall on a feature that can be used for debugging, testing, or making a job available to trusted callers without writing an MVC front-end.
Getting help with WebJobs and the WebJobs SDK
- StackOverflow. Use the tag Azure-WebJobs.
- Azure and ASP.NET forum.
- Twitter. Use the hashtag #AzureWebJobs.
Blogs that frequently post on WebJobs or the WebJobs SDK
- Blog by Amit Apple. Focus on WebJobs (not the SDK).
- Mike Stall's .NET Debugging Blog. Focus on the WebJobs SDK.
Additional WebJobs Resources
- Running Powershell Web Jobs on Azure websites. Blog by Nick Trogh.
- Getting notified when your Azure triggered WebJobs completes. Blog by Amit Apple.
- Azure Web Sites: Architecting Massive-Scale Ready-For-Business Web Apps. In this video, Yochai Kiriaty covers scaling of Azure Web Sites with WebJobs, including the WebJobs SDK. A great talk for learning how to scale.
- Simple Web Site Backup retention policy with WebJobs. Blog post y Eduardo Laureano.
- Windows Azure WebSites and Cloud Services Slow on First Request. Blog post by J. K. Pederson, shows how to use WebJobs to simulate the AlwaysOn feature that is only available for the Standard Websites tier.
Additional WebJobs SDK Resources
- WAWS - WebJob to upload FREB files to Azure Storage using the WebJobs SDK . Blog by Rakki Muthukumar.
- Getting a dashboard for local development with the WebJobs SDK. Blog by Mike Stall.
- Hosting Azure webjobs outside Azure, with the logging benefits from an Azure hosted webjob. Blog post by Rasmus Tolstrup Christensen.
- Building a Data Import Tool with Azure WebJobs. Blog post by Sean Patterson.