Setting Up SQL Server 7/2000 Dependency Caching
SQL Server 7/2000 dependency caching requires you to run some setup
scripts that build the cache tables ASP.NET will monitor for changes.
For this purpose
the .NET Framework 2.0 provides a utility called aspnet_regsql.exe.
You do not need to have SQL Server 7/2000 installed in order to follow these steps.
The same scripts and legacy dependency caching implementation (next lesson) will
work with SQL Express.
1. In Windows Explorer navigate to the folder that contains the aspnet_regsql.exe command line utility. This will be C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.xxxxx,
where the last five digits are the .NET Framework 2.0 build number. Copy the full
2. Navigate to Start | Run, type "cmd" and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt type "cd " and then right-click and select Paste.
4. Type the following, replacing "machine-name" with your machine's name or "localhost":
aspnet_regsql -S "machine-name\sqlexpress" -E -d pubs -ed. Press Enter.
When complete you should see the following:
5. In the same manner execute the following command: aspnet_regsql -S "machine-name\sqlexpress"
-E -d pubs -t authors -et. Press Enter.
6. Type "Exit" and then press Enter.
The authors table is ready to be monitored
by ASP.NET 2.0. You will now configure your project to use dependency caching.
Powered By ASP.NET v2.0